Custom Search

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Book review: Pyramid, by Tom Martin

Good day friends,

I do like to take note of books that I enjoy, so here is my latest book review. It's on the novel, Pyramid, by Tom Martin:




Ancient wonders are the draw

This book had me hooked by the plot - an ancient mystery with dire warnings for the present, the settings - Peru & Egypt, and the genre - archaeological adventure/thriller. I have always been fascinated by ancient Egypt, so it was irresistible! I found Pyramid to be an easy read, fairly engaging, and enjoyable. The settings and sense of place were well done. I especially liked the focus on ancient history and mythology - those aspects of the story were fascinating.

I would have liked more follow-through for the book's antagonists and their mission, which started off strong, more impetus for the main characters to do what they were doing and for them to have made a bigger impact on the story's ending. Though they chased around the world (spending a lot of money on flights without specific aims), they didn't actually accomplish or affect much and the ending wasn't as strong as it could have been. I did like the main characters however and the pacing of the book was good.

Overall, I found Pyramid to be an entertaining read with a lot of interesting information presented. That for me was the book's strongest feature, so if you're like me and enjoy being entertained by ancient mysteries in an adventure setting, it's a good read. I liked it enough that I look forward to reading Tom Martin's next book, Kingdom:



Happy reading always my friends!

Rai Aren, co-author of Secret of the Sands

No comments: